Friday, November 24, 2006

The Morning After


I actually went to a few of the 5 a.m. sales this morning, mostly to find out what it's all about, but, yes, partly to see what kind of deals I could get for my Christmas shopping.

I did find a couple of items, though no gifts of particular interest. I did find a couple of laser pointers, but they were at their regular price, and not the reason I went out.

I cruised Riverdale road at about 4:30 this morning. A few people in line at f.y.e., a GREAT line outside of Circuit City, a full parking lot at Babies 'R' Us, but the most horrifying sites were the mob scene just outside of Best Buy, and the line of people camped out near the Newgate Mall.

Maybe I'm just anti-social, and bent on living outside the fringe, but that's insane. Looking at these materialistic boobs, I may question my own sanity, but I have by no means reason to dismiss it entirely.

I was a bit disappointed to find that the one item I thought I'd buy Pam as a surprise (i.e., a gift she didn't specifially ask for): a relatively low-cost alternative to the iPod. Suckers sold out within moments of the doors opening.

Well, that was interesting. I probably won't do that again... at least, not until Elias starts getting the peer pressure to keep up with the latest (and most expensive) toys on the market. Maybe I'll get lucky. By then, the whole economy will collapse, and the "must have" item in school will be lunch.